In mid 2015 I started building a game based on a concept I’d been thinking about for a few years. I borrowed some characters I’d developed for a different project and as I worked on the concept the ideas started to come together. The end result was the original 4 level prototype of Rising Dusk I had at the PIXELS exhibition last year.
After the exhibition I set aside what I’d done and set myself a more solid plan, working out where the game was going to go and how I was going to get there. Now I had a destination and the map there. For the past year I’ve worked on the game, getting the systems in place, designing levels, working out how how the whole puzzle fits together. And finally last month I had a game. I had a product that could be played from start to end. There was an opening level, there was a final boss, there were secrets and hidden collectables. It was rough, filled with placeholder graphics and in need of rigorous playtesting by someone other than myself. But it resembled something more than a collection of ideas.
Now it’s time to see if I can take the game to the next stage. Polish the level design, put together a cohesive visual aesthetic and iron out the bugs. From today I’m repurposing Studio Stobie as a developer blog for Rising Dusk. Next week I’ll put out a trailer. And following that I will launch a crowdfunding campaign along with a playable demo. If all goes to plan I hope to have a shippable game by early next year and finally complete this journey I started over 2 years ago. Once a week I will provide insights into the development of the game, creation of the characters and inspiration for the setting.
If you’ve stumbled onto this blog please follow along, and I hope you will join me on this journey into the Rising Dusk.